Friday, July 20, 2012

Senseless Tragedy

Normally, I try not to comment on tragedies because I don't enjoy giving senseless people like that any kind of attention. They don't deserve the notoriety. Though, being as where this happened and the fact that I will seeing the movie tonight, I thought I would make an exception. For those of you who don't know, a man opened fire at a showing for The Dark Knight Rises. Many were wounded and many were killed. I just can't imagine being so excited to see a movie and never being able to come home. We as humans have the potential for great things. When there are any types of senseless violence, we tend to prove that wrong and show that we can be the worst creatures on the planet. Whether it happens in a school, movie theater, or a concert, each event is just as tragic regardless how many people are effected by it. I'm never going to be able to condone or understand why people do these things. Killing people for no reason will never be okay, those trying to rationalize that it is and acting acting upon it, I will never see them as anything less than a coward especially those to decide to take their lives after committing these acts. They do so they will not have to face the consequences for their actions and there is nothing more cowardly than that in my opinion. Those who do it to be famous or to further their own bullshit agenda would come in a close second to that. There will never be any good reason for this type of pain or suffering. As a race of people, we can and should be much better than this. You're probably asking yourself, where does this tie into music? Since I normally talk nothing but music, I can agree that is a very valid question. With that though comes a very easy answer. Musicians are no strangers to these types of actions. From John Lennon to Darrell Abbot, have all be effected by acts of senseless violence for no good reason along with their loved ones and friends. They were all amazingly talented and shared their talent to anyone who listened. Judging by how successful they were, they were many who listened. I'm not saying it's any bigger of a tragedy for them because the value of human life is the same for all of us. Each one of these tragedies isn't any bigger or smaller than one that has happened before or since then and nine times out of ten, they don't see it coming. Even if they do, there is very little that can be done at that point. Lastly, my thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of those who where effected by the senseless tragedy in Aurora. Now, this is point where a person writing something like this will say something along the lines of "love everyone because you never know when they will be gone" but I believe I'm above that overused line. So, I will use an overused movie quote instead. Trust me, that is better. Anyway, life moves by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone should be taking a moment of their time today to reflect on this. Well written. Couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete